I have been dying to make these crock bot refried beans I saw on pinterest. I always gorge on refried beans at Mexican restaurants. Double beans, no rice please! That + queso + a margarita = happy Caroline. Well this recipe is restaurant-quality, creeeeamy refried beans, with minimal fuss. The hardest step is when you use your immersion blender to blend the beans. Also, it makes a lot and can be frozen!
Crock Pot Refried Beans
- 2 pounds dry pinto beans, rinsed – no need to soak!
- 4 vegetable (or chicken) bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon of garlic salt
- 1/2 medium sweet onion – not chopped up, just whole (or technically, halved)
- 1 stick butter – I used a little less as this seemed excessive
Put all beans into crock pot. Fill the crock pot nearly to the top with water. Add bouillon cubes, garlic salt, and sweet onion.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours, until beans are soft. Stir every now and then. If the water gets low, add more.
Discard onion. Strain beans, saving the liquid in a separate bowl. Add a little of the liquid to beans and use hand blender to mash beans. Add additional liquid to obtain desired consistency. Put back in crock pot and add butter. Cook on low until the butter has melted.
I served mine with Cilantro Verde Enchiladas from the freezer.